Friday, August 22, 2008

Zaha's Designs For Singapore

Zaha Hadid Architects (ZHA) recently unveiled proposed designs for the new Farrer Road residential complex in Singapore composed of seven 36 story residential towers, each rising to a height about 510ft, and 12 villas on an 838,488 sq ft site. The $3 billion project is reminiscent of her dancing tower in Dubai and upon completion, will be the largest residential complex in Singapore's history.
Hadid wished to redefine urban space with this project, as she shows intricate landscaping for the towers' outdoor communal spaces on grade and uses some of the country's unique vegetation as form generators as each tower is subdivided into petal patterns according to the floor plan of each story. The petals are expressed in three dimension giving the overall form the look and feel of petals blossoming (or at least, that was her goal).

I think
Zaha really does give her very best effort to her designs and shows a certain level of commitment that is lacking in many "star architects" but I always find something lacking in some of her work. This project though very revolutionary in form ( I would love to see diagrams depicting the proposed structural bracing for these "petals"), seems to be too much of a site intervention. I know that Farrer Court on Farrer Road is the Bohemian sector of the neighborhood and Zaha wanted to do something lavish for them but this project does not relate to anything around it. I know that I have spoken about this before and just want to say here that when I talk about a building relating to its surroundings, I don't necessarily mean that it has to mimic the buildings around it, but it should at least look like it belongs there and can't be "transplanted" somewhere else and still fit in with the context. Come to think of it, it looks like she used much of her prior designs from her "dancing tower" for this one and it does look like it would be more at home in Dubai than Singapore.

Another thing that made me cringe when I saw this project was not the design per say, which I really do think is quite impressive, but the density of these massings all lumped together. If the communal outdoor gardens are not maintained well with the proper amenities, these buildings could slowly degenerate into slum dwellings. I have seen his trend with many towers in the United States that initially preached "community interaction" in their mission statements but somehow became ghettos where everyone was stacked deep from floor to floor. The Pruitt-Igoe in Missouri is a perfect example.

As I said earlier, I think generally this is a great design and I hope that Zaha will be able to see this project through to its completion and I mean to the last detail to be sure that the gardens look as she intended them.


Images obtained from www.worldarchitecturenews.com
For more info check http://www.tuvie.com/farrer-road-in-singapore-by-zaha-hadid-architects

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a Female Architect is hard to be unbiased, when talking about the successes of another female architect...

Especially if she is the only female in the field who received the Pritzker Architecture Prize in 2004. An award, that could be considered the Oscar of architecture; not only for the prestige attain after receiving it, but for the difficulty of actually getting one, it has been exclusive to men since 1979 when establish by the Hyatt foundation.

Hadid has been a controversial individual, in the field not only because she defies the norm but also for her strong character. However, in a profession dominated by the "stronger sex" what else is there to do but join the enemy or become like the enemy. And guys, don't take it personally, but you are the competition.

So, why don't give her credit for her wacky geometries, techniques and personality. She has earned her place in the elite world of Architecture...

I don't mind the repetition of previous designs. I think it gives the project a unique signature mark and a unique identity that can be link back to the architect.
And this gives the architect the chance to test new techniques in old ideas.

ArchSourcer said...

I did give her credit for the design. I said I really liked it personally but it stood out from the surroundings way too much.

Secondly, I was concerned about how the massings were stacked together just like the Pruitt-Igoe and stressed that she needed to be sure that all amenities she intended for the urban garden were actually incorporated.

I've got nothing against Zaha. I appreciate her designs and agree that she has earned her place amongst the big boys. But she needs to be careful with this one.

I know that the socio-cultural issues of the United States might be very different from those in Singapore. Hell, maybe I'm just being a little paranoid about it but I see the same thing easily happening again.