Sunday, August 17, 2008

Candy Spelling's Record Breaking Condo

Carole Gene "Candy" Spelling, the widow of Aron Spelling and a well known civic leader in Los Angeles paid a whopping $47 million for a two story condo unit above the Century City tower still under construction.
The price for this unit comes to an amazing $2,850 per square foot, a record price for any condo unit in Los Angeles. Spelling's new abode will include a dining room for 25 guests, a 4,000 square foot master bedroom, a conservatory with a rose garden with an adjacent swimming pool.
According to Spelling's attorney, she is moving to this new unit in order to "downsize" her living space after her husbands death. It is difficult to imagine how this can possibly be a downscaling of any sort until you consider that Spelling currently resides in a 57,000 square foot 112 room mansion, the largest home in Los Angeles which she will be auctioning off within the next year after she moves into the completed condo.
This seems to be a new trend with many parents moving out of large suburban homes and into more expensive and smaller condo units within the city especially after the kids go off to college. The higher mortgage now proceeds to eat into college funds leaving young Bobby and Britney no other option than entanglement with Salliemae.
That being said, this new trend in housing has led to the continued boom in residential highrise construction and just might result in less of a demand for suburban sprawl which has been the American dream for many years.


Image obtained from www.LaTimes.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately money is a necessary evil and even though for some down sizing just means less rooms or a relocation to the financial district in some mayor city condo building. there are still many families struggling to put a roof over their head and that make the American dream bit more difficult to achieve for the average American family. But who wouldn't like to live in a nice condo building in some major city like New York, LA, or my beloved San Francisco? I would.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to be her live in domestic. I wonder how you apply for that position? I would do the shopping, cooking, cleaning, home making and have a chilled martini ready for her (see I already know what she drinks), once she gets home from a tiring day of spending her husbands money. I would draw her bath, rub her feet, put warm stones on her back and make her the merriest widow in Los Angeles.

I would never leave the tower. I would be like Rapunzel, only happy with my secluded position at the top of the Avenue of the Stars. And in the mornings I would look down at all the people going to wherever and I would thank Arron Spelling for the dedication he showed to earning money, so I can perfect my dedication to easy living.

ArchSourcer said...

I think with time you would get really bored with having to put up with her demands regardless of the plush living conditions.